If you have a dedicated server from a 3rd party provider but don't have a server administrator to manage OS and rtmp server (setup rtmp server, upgrade server software, restart and troubleshoot when needed, deploy and configure new rtmp applications) our admins can also provide server management. Server administration includes:
- Installation of RTMP server (Red5 or Wowza if you have a license key)
- Installation of FFMPEG and codecs required for flash to html5 format video conversion
FFMPEG (from svn), mplayer, mencoder, flvtool2, yamdi; including codecs: x264, speex, nellymoser, theora, mp3lame, vorbis, ogg, faac, faad2, xvid
- Installation of document conversion tools (required to convert PDF, PPT, DOC, XLS to images for web based display)
Apache_OpenOffice, unoconv, ImageMagick
- Server software upgrades
- Installation of rtmp side applications
- Optimisation and troubleshooting of rtmp server
- Installation of licensed VideoWhisper editions
This service is already included with our Managed Dedicated Streaming Servers
Service is available as semi-anually subscription:
Order RTMP Server Administration for 480USD/6 months
- Subscription is billed automatically until cancelled from billing site.
- Cancel subscription before next billing date to discontinue and prevent another charge.
Most important specification for streaming video is connectivity. Make sure your server has a big connection (1000Mbps preferred) and is physically installed in a reputable datacenter well connected to your target client networks.
VPS servers can be used for development phase or low traffic sites. For hight traffic you should opt for a full dedicated server or shared plan optimised for video streaming.
If you also use server for web hosting, WHM/CPanel is recommended for easy web management.
Install can usually be provided on these distributions:
- Linux: Centos 5+ (recommended), Debian 5+, Fedora 11+, Ubuntu 9+ - via ssh root access
- Windows: 2000, XP, Vista, 7 - via remote desktop
A VPS can be used for live video streaming project development and testing but are not recommended at production times.
Dedicated servers are recommended.
Multiple VPS (Virtual Private Servers) share same server with same hardware (disk, cpu, memory, connection).
While resulting performance issues are not visible when serving http pages, frame loss/latency/temporary freezing can occur in live streams on a VPS, depending on how the other VPS on same server use the shared physical resources and temporary lock these.