VideoChat & Social Networking
This web based Video Chat plugin can easily be installed on Elgg to enable P2P 2 way video chat. Users are allowed to create unlimited video chat rooms where 2 participants can video chat using their webcams and microphones.
Users can show latest rooms they created on their profile and dashboard with widgets and also these are displayed on the wall (river). This is inteded for private 1 on 1 video chat so users can make video chat rooms accessible just for their friends or groups. This way others will not disturb.
Elgg is an award-winning open source social networking engine that provides a robust framework on which to build all kinds of social environments, from a campus wide social network for your university, school or college or an internal collaborative platform for your organization through to a brand-building communications tool for your company and its clients.
Latest VideoWhisper Elgg plugin release was tested to work with Elgg 1.9.1, previous with Elgg 1.8.8, Elgg 1.7.14 and early versions were built for Elgg 1.6.1. All versions can be downloaded from Elgg plugins repository.
All module php scripts are provided with open source code under GPL 2.0 so integrations can be changed as needed.
Online Demo for Elgg Video Chat Module
Extra Elgg Plugins to use with Elgg Video Chat Module
There are also other VideoWhisper plugins to use in combination with this:
- Social Connect -Facebook and Twitter integration
- Embed Room Links - list rooms on other websites
- Homepage Template -create and view active rooms on frontpate
- Online User Snapshots -show snapshots from applications that generate these
Installation Instructions for Elgg Video Chat Module
Before installing, make sure your hosting environment meets all requirements.
- If you're not hosting RTMP with us go to RTMP Application Setup for installation details.
- Download latest Elgg Plugin zip and copy the files from the zip file including folder structure to your mod folder in Elgg installation folder. After doing this you should have mod/videochat/start.php in your elgg installation folder.
Or download and unzip All Videowhisper Elgg Plugins Pack and upload all plugin folders to mod folder in Elgg installation folder.
- From Elgg administration area, enable the videochat module from Tool Administration and other VideoWhisper plugins as needed. Optionally you can add the Video Chat Rooms widget to default profile widgets and default dashbord widgets.
- Fill the RTMP application path in Video Chat > Settings on site frontend.
- Get a RTMFP path (i.e. by registering for a free developer key from Adobe Cirrus ) to have your own p2p network.
Customizing Elgg P2P Video Chat Rooms
The Elgg Video Chat integration is based on a slightly modified php 2 way video chat script edition so you can also check that for customizing settings, integration and implementation of other features. You will find most files mentioned there in mod/videochat .
Details, Forums, Downloads for 2 Way Video Chat